7/14/14

The Complexity of life in Israel in a Nutshell


These photographs were born while I was on the beach in Givat Ha'aliya in Jaffa, and I thought to myself - I have to do something with this crazy building, stuck here among Arab women covered from head to toe (even in water), the mosque that towers behind the Muslim cemetery on the right, and the girls in pink bikini. Surreal scene. Then I thought who would I want to shoot here, who is the most impressive man I've seen in Israel.
Straight away the well known , actor and film director , Mohammed Bakri popped to mind .
I wasn't even thinking from a political point of view .
***
I contacted Bakri and he cleared a day for me.
I took the photos on a very specific part of the Peres Center for Peace, which is located on the Mediterranean coast.
Bakri is a native Arab/ Palestinian ,photographed out here in the
superbly designed Peres Center for Peace, by the Italian architect - Masimliano Fuksas, on the sea side - which is an "All the Sea" ,  generic, such as Tunis and Algiers, where I imagined the "L'etranger " by Albert Camus , standing with his back to the reader.
  Another Albert designed the clothes that Muhammad Bakri is wearing, Alber Elbaz, Israeli of Moroccan origin - Creative Director of Lanvin, another layer of my Middle Eastern Identity .
And the building dedicated to peace.
Foreign , Local ,Earthy ,Glam , roots, sea, land, shiny, simple. This place manages to symbolize all those feelings.
The Complexity of life in Israel in a Nutshell.






הצילומים האלה נולדו כששכבתי על שפת הים בגבעת העליה שביפו , וחשבתי לעצמי - חייבים לעשות משהו עם הבנין המטורף הזה שתקוע פה (כמו נזם זהב באף חזיר) בין הנשים הערביות המכוסות מכף רגל ועד ראש (גם במים ) ,המסגד המזדקר מאחור , בית הקברות המוסלמי מימין ,והבחורות בבקיני .סצינה סוריאליסטית .  ואז חשבתי את מי הייתי רוצה לצלם כאן , מי הגבר הכי מרשים שראיתי בישראל . ישר חשבתי על מוחמד בכרי   פניתי לבכרי והוא פינה עבורי יום
צילמתי בחלק מאוד מסויים של מרכז פרס לשלום,  שנמצא על שפת הים התיכון.
בכרי בן הארץ , ערבי , מצולם כאן בשטח מעוצב לעילא ע"י האדריכל האיטלקי - מסימליאנו פוקסס  ,על שפת הים הים -תיכונית , שהיא "כל שפת ים" גנרית  ,כמו זו בטוניסיה ואלג'יר שם דימיינתי את "הזר" של אלבר קאמו עומד כשגבו לקורא .
 אלבר אחר עיצב את הבגדים שמוחמד לובש ,אלבר אלבז הישראלי ממוצא מרוקאי  - לבית לאנווין, עוד נדבך בסביבה הים תיכונית שלי .
והבניין שמוקדש לשלום .
זר , מקומי , מעוצב ,שורשי , ים ,אדמה , נוצץ ,פשוט . המקום הזה מצליח לסמל את כל התחושות האלה .
מורכבות החיים בישראל על קצה המזלג .



www.miridavidovitz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment