6/21/13

The story of Mamilla


When I moved to Jerusalem, to study, I was briefly fascinated by the Jerusalem charm but quickly looked for signs of urbanism.

Tel Avivian in my soul, David Bowie and Lou Reed on the turntable, black clothes and stilettos. 
So when I got an architecture photography project, at the end of my the first year of studying photography, I chose the most urban place that I found in this historic city - Mamilla .


 כשעברתי לגור בירושלים ,כדי ללמוד ,הייתי במשך תקופה קצרה מוקסמת מהחן של בתי האבן הירושלמיים אבל מהר מאוד חיפשתי סימנים של אורבניות .

תל אביבית בנשמה מהגן ברחוב אבן גבירול ,דייויד בואי ולו ריד על הפטפון ,בגדים שחורים ועקבים .

לכן ,כשקיבלתי בסוף שנה א' של לימודי הצילום ,תרגיל לצילום ארכיטקטורה ,בחרתי במקום העירוני ביותר שמצאתי בעיר ההיסטורית הזאת - ממילא

הסתובבתי בפליאה בין בתי המגורים הגבוהים , יחסית לירושלים , וריקים כל כך



I explored  the high rising buildings, relative to Jerusalem, wondering why they were so empty.
Long after I left Jerusalem I read in the newspapers that the neighborhood has been demolished and a new residential complex - City of David, a shopping mall and hotel Mamilla were built instead of it.
Nothing of the original neighborhood has remained. Practically no trace .

The films lay in my archives for years, until I showed them ,quite accidentally ,to the curator Hagai Segev . Hence things moved quickly.
A place has been chosen and a date has been saved ,
And now 20 of my photographs from Mamilla are on display at Eretz Israel Museum .

 

 הרבה אחרי שעזבתי את ירושלים קראתי שהרסו את השכונה ובנו במקומה מתחם מגורים חדש - עיר דוד , קניון ובית מלון
הצילומים שכבו במשך שנים בארכיון שלי , עד שדי במקרה הראיתי אותם לאוצר חגי שגב , ומכאן הדברים התגלגלו במהירות
נבחר מקום ,נקבע תאריך ,עבדנו על סריקות והדפסות מדוקדקות וכעת 20 מהצילומים שלי מממילא מוצגים במוזיאון ארץ ישראל 




 To complete the exhibition, I created a series of nine prints. You can see them and  purchase at "Book Worm", "7 Mazeh Street, Tel Aviv



כדי להשלים את התערוכה , יצרתי סדרה של 9 הדפסים . ניתן לראותם ואף לרכשם ב"תולעת ספרים " ,רחוב מאז"ה 7 , תל אביב


www.miridavidovitz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment